Saturday, March 12, 2011

Lookin For the Silver Lining in Every Dark Cloud

A couple of short traveling stories.

During my first trip to Arizona in the 70's I decided to cross the Navajo reservation on my way to Window Rock. I was behind time as I drove across the reservation and decided to spend the night in a rest area along the road. As I was getting dinner ready, the tribal police pulled in with their four-wheeler to see if I was ok. They were probably just checking on me anyways, but, they told me it was because they wanted to make sure I wasn't broken down or anything since it was fairly far from civilization. We talked a little and they liked my van and said they'd stop by again on the return trip from their rounds. Sure enough, a few hours later they pulled back in and we sat around the fire for a while talking about my trip and they told me a lot about the Navajo people and gave me some great pointers for things to look for and see. Really nice people and I had an wonderful time.

A few years later, on another trip, I was stopping in Latimer County Oklahoma as a representative of our family. My grandfather did a little land speculation and when he died he still had a 20 acre site in OK. No one in the family knew anything about it and my grandmother never sold it. When she died my aunt and uncle wanted to know about it because an oil company wanted to buy it. So I stopped and checked it out. On the way out of the area, there was road construction and they routed us through an ungodly old back-country road. The van was in dire need of gas and there was nothing around. Suddenly I came across a little mom and pop store with two old crappy looking gas pumps). I pulled my hippie van in to the pump and waited with my long hair as a classic stereotype hick came out of the store towards the van. Half toothless, white t-shirt with cigarettes rolled up in the sleeve, flat top, and a couple of bad tatoos on some skinny arms. I'd seen Easy Rider. I knew I was in trouble.

Well, this guy came out, looked at the van and smiled. Asked if he could look inside and we had a great conversation for about a half-hour while he gassed up the truck and did all of the manual maintenance that gas stations generally stopped doing in the 60's. We had a good time, shook hands, and he wished me well as I left. I smacked myself for letting my fears and misconceptions run loose. Just another wonderful encounter with good people while traveling. I've had many and hope to have many more.

No comments: