Thursday, September 4, 2008

Goin' East in the Westbound Lane

I worked in a steel mill for nearly ten years. During a break one day a bunch of us were talking about travel. I explained that I was a traveling fool. Put me in a car, put me out on the highway, and I can drive all day. Someone asked how far I thought I could go in a weekend and I said I thought I could drive to Tucson and back within three days. One of my colleagues jumped up and loudly proclaimed that wasn't possible. I thought about it more carefully and concluded I thought it could be done. My colleague then made the mistake of betting me I couldn't do it. We haggled for a while and, because he was very confident this was impossible, we settled on the rules for the bet.
(1) He would see me off and get the mileage on my van
(2) I needed some irrefutable proof that I was in Tucson
(3) I had to be at his house within 72 hours of leaving with the proof
The bet was for $1500 AND EXPENSES (boy was he confident). We had to each put up the $1500 up front and let a mutual (and neutral) person hold it.
I won baby .... I won !!!!!!!
I made it with four hours to spare and I took breaks along the way. My proof? I drove into Tucson, went to the University of Arizona bookstore and bought him a t-shirt (correct size). The receipt had the name of the bookstore and location, and the date/time. Shortest stay ever in Tucson .... about 20 minutes. I got in, got the shirt, and left immediately.
It really frosted his you-know-whats and he didn't speak to me for weeks afterwards. He also refused to wear the shirt. I bet his wife whipped his butt for dropping $1500 (plus expenses) on a stupid bet. I wouldn't do it again, but, it was certainly worth it once.

No comments: